Because this is a play-by-play of my week:
- This book is SO GOOD! I can't believe I wrote this. It's awesome!
- Hmm, that section is weak compared with the end, so I need to rewrite.
- Well, it's not the best book, but it's still pretty good.
- Ooh, just thought of another character that I need to add.
- I wonder what will happen if I change this whole section.
- Oh, that was bad. That made it much worse!
- I'm never going to get this finished.
- You know, this is not really a very good story.
- My book is kinda boring.
- Maybe I'll do better with the next book I write...
I'm back to a solid footing between #2 and #3 right now - not bad for a Monday morning. And tonight I can dream of the day that I'll return to #1. But I wonder - will I ever feel that good about it again? Or will I always see the faults, the what-could-have-beens?
The advice I keep finding on various blogs leads back to the same conclusion: JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD. I can't let my doubts paralyze me. I need to get this first book out the door and online, then work on the second and the third, and so on. Keep moving forward...
PS - Happy Birthday to my sister, Amy!